Train Operators look after the maintenance and other operations of the train. They are usually hired on a part-time basis. They are assigned different shifts. However, if there is a requirement they may be called at any time during the day or even at night. Before starting with the work, the train operators are given an intensive training.
Train Operator Duties
- Train Operators prepare reports about any defects in the trains so that they can be worked upon and rectified.
- They prepare reports about any unusual activity that takes place during the course of the journey. These reports are generally prepared after the completion of each journey.
- They provide information about the various tasks handled by a train operator to the students seeking this position.
- Train Operators are also involved in providing training to the newly hired staff.
- They provide first aid to the passengers in case it is required during the journey and also call for medical help.
- They work as per the rules and regulations set for the train operators.
- Train Operators are required to work part time mostly, 22-25 hours per week.
- They need to work in different shifts including the night shift.
- Train Operators are expected to take care of the safety and security of the passengers and have cordial relations with their co-workers to ensure the smooth functioning of the work.
- They report all the unusual happenings and work as per the set traffic rules.
- Train Operators operate test trains and approve their parts and equipments.
- They assist the passengers and answer their queries.