Stationary engineers are responsible for safe operation and maintenance and operating of mechanical equipment that controls heating, air conditioning, electrical and fire safety arrangements in commercial buildings. They may work in places like shopping malls, hospitals, industrial areas, stadiums, factories etc. Their work involves replacing worn out or defective equipment and documenting maintenance events.
Stationary engineer job duties include working with pumps, compressors, turbines and perform duties similar to a boiler operator. Stationary engineers are involved with technical aspect of the job because of a shift of dependence towards the building of automaton. Various stationery engineer job duties are given below.
Stationary Engineer Job Duties:
- Operating and maintaining stationary engines and mechanical equipment, such as steam engines, motors, steam boilers, turbines etc. to provide services like heat, light and power to buildings and industrial houses.
- Recording data on temperature of equipment, hours of work, fuel consumption, temperature and pressure, water levels, voltage load and generator balance.
- Adjusting manual controls and overriding automatic controls to bring equipment into appropriate operating stage and switch to back up systems or shutting down equipment whenever necessary.
- Oiling and lubricating equipment if necessary.
- Inspecting equipment visually at frequent intervals of time as necessary to check for malfunctions or the need to repair or replacement, adjustment or lubrication.
- Maintaining equipment by adjusting fittings wherever needed, checking and adjusting bearings, gaskets, valves and gauges and cleaning or replacing burners using hand tools and power tools.
- If necessary performing water titration tests, and pouring chemical additives like water softeners in treatment tanks to prevent scale build up and cleaning boiler lines.
- Recording operation of equipment and maintenance actions taken during shifts in the operators’ logbook.
- If necessary specialize in equipment designed for industrial houses.
- Reading meters and gauges at specified intervals of time to verify the operating conditions of the equipment.