A Psychiatric Technician offers nursing care to the mentally ill or the emotionally disturbed patients. It is essential to have a relevant degree in order to get into this profession. Most hospitals, nursing homes and rehabilitation centres prefer hiring a Psychiatric Technician with prior work experience in the same field.
Psychiatric Technician Job Duties
- Psychiatric Technicians are hired to provide nursing care to the mentally challenged or emotionally disturbed patients.
- They help the patients admitted in the rehabilitation and trauma centres in various activities during their treatment.
- They try to create a friendly environment so that the patients and their relatives feel at ease.
- They help the patients in their day-to-day activities such as bathing, clothing, easting, etc.
- Psychiatric Technicians administer oral medications and injections. They ensure that the patients are given medicines on time.
- They assist the doctors, nurses and other health care professionals in carrying out the treatments.
- Psychiatric Technician measure and keep a record of the patient’s physical conditions for instance their temperature, pulse rate, weight, height, respiration, etc.
- They closely monitor the patients in order to observe the behaviour patterns of the patients and report the same to the doctors.
- They communicate with the patients in order to understand their psyche and provide counselling sessions to help them get out of their present mental state.
- Psychiatric Technicians conduct therapeutic sessions under the guidance of the doctors.
- They assist the new patients or their family members in filling up the admission forms.
- They contact the patient’s relatives/ guardians and arrange family conferences.