Neonatal nurse practitioners are those nurses or medical experts who are specially trained to take care of neonates. A neonate is a baby who has been prematurely born or is suffering from some kind of medical condition due to problems at the time of birth. A neonatal nurse practitioner is expert at providing extensive care to neonates and helps the doctors in the assessment, supervision and healing of the patient and the mother.
A neonatal nurse practitioner has to perform may other job related duties as well and the following given part of the article shall help you understand these duties at this position in a better way.
Sample Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Job Duties
- A neonatal nurse practitioner is employed to take care of premature babies or neonates and it is their duty to provide whatever care is needed for the baby to become healthy.
- It is the job duty of a neonatal nurse practitioner to provide education to the parents of the neonatal babies on how to take care of them once they are discharged from the hospital.
- Another job duty of a neonatal nurse is to provide specific care in the case of respiratory disorder, heart ailments, low weight of baby at birth and other abnormalities.
- A neonatal nurse practitioner is also required to do assessment of the progress made by the baby and help in the supervision and management of the baby’s health.
- Another duty which a neonatal nurse practitioner is to do is to monitor the readings of the medical equipments such as incubators, ventilators etc to record the progress and changes in the baby’s condition.
- It is the job duty of a neonatal nurse practitioner to assist the doctors and take orders from them as far as taking care of the neonatal baby is concerned.