Mental Health Technicians offer nursing care to the mentally challenged and emotionally disturbed patients. The job is not easy as it requires immense patience and care. In order to become a Mental Health Technician, one needs to have a relevant degree. At the time of hiring, preference is given to the candidates with prior work experience in the same field.
Mental Health Technician Job Duties
- Mental Health Technicians perform basic psychiatric care nursing.
- They monitor the patients on a regular basis, evaluate their condition and prepare their reports accordingly.
- They study the track record of the patients and assist the doctors and other health care professionals in the ongoing treatment.
- Mental Health Technicians provide personal care to the patients. They try to figure out the requirements of the patients and treat them accordingly.
- They escort the patients to other wards; take them out in the garden area for a breath of fresh air and at various other places as suggested by the doctors.
- They are required to keep a record of the vital signs of the patients.
- Their job duties also involve observing the patient’s behaviour and documenting it regularly.
- Mental Health Technicians administer the medications of the mentally ill patients.
- They also handle certain less complicated cases under the guidance of the doctors.
- Mental Health Technicians acts as a link between the patient, his/her family and the hospital staff. They try to build a friendly atmosphere so that the patients feel comfortable.
- They also intervene during critical situations and work under the supervision of health care professionals such as doctors, nurses, etc.