Medical Technologist Job Duties include checking the blood and tissue samples of the patients in order to figure out the blood type, cell count, drug level and other such details. It is essential to stay updated with the latest technological developments in the medical field in order to handle this position well. One must undergo a relevant degree in order to get into this position; having some work experience in this field helps in handling various tasks efficiently.
Medical Technologist Job Duties
- Medical Technologist is required to assess the blood and tissue samples collected from different patients and diagnose the blood type, cell count, drug level or chemical content of an individual.
- Medical Technologist also needs to examine the body fluids to determine any kind of infection or other problems in the same.
- Medical Technologist is also required to look for any microorganism such as bacteria, virus or parasites in the blood.
- Medical Technologist needs to prepare the samples before taking them for examination.
- Medical Technologist needs to prepare cultures of the samples of tissues collected from the patients.
- Medical Technologist is required to make us of automated tools and equipments for carrying out various tests and examining them.
- Medical Technologist needs to conduct different kinds of tests; both simple as well as complicated ones.
- Medical Technologist needs to cross match the blood samples for the purpose of transfusion.
- Medical Technologist is required to interpret the test results using different equipments.
- Medical Technologist needs to make use of sterilization and infection control protocols as they are usually required to work with infectious specimens. These protocols are used as they reduce the risk of getting infected.
- Medical Technologist may be required to work in erratic shifts.
- Medical Technologist is required to spend most hours of their shifts in the laboratory.
- Medical Technologist is required to plan and observe programs that ascertain the accuracy of data.