A licensed practical nurse is a nurse who is appointed to directly take care of the patients. A licensed practical nurse (LPN) is someone who is a registered to be a nurse and is responsible for dealing with the patients on one-to-one basis. Some of the tasks that have to be performed by licensed practical nurses include taking vitals of the patients, giving them medicines, applying dressing or bandages and also collecting samples for various types of testing.
There are many other job duties associated with the position of a licensed practical nurse and some of the important ones have been mentioned in the following lines:
Sample Licensed Practical Nurse Job Duties
- One of the important duties of a licensed practical nurse is to assess the new patients and record their medical history.
- A licensed practical nurse is required to work directly with the patients and perform duties such as application of bandages in case of physical injury etc, take test reports, maintain patient records, give medicines to patients, take patients for walks etc.
- Anybody working at the position of a licensed practical nurse is also required to collect samples from patients whom have to be sent to labs for tests.
- Another duty of a licensed practical nurse is to visit those patients who cannot come to the hospital or medical facility and perform tasks such as preparing meals, giving medication, education family members about taking care of the patient etc.
- An important job duty of a licensed practical nurse is to take orders from the doctors and implement those orders for the treatment or cure of the patients.
- A licensed practical nurse must have a happy disposition and treat the patients with care.
- Another duty involves checking temperature and using various medical equipments.