A lab technician is someone who performs practical tasks in the laboratories. They work in different areas including electronics, biology, chemistry, medicine, environment and geology. In order to work as a lab technician one requires a relevant degree in the field. The work of a lab technician is usually carried out indoors.
Lab Technician Job Duties
- A lab technician receives samples on their subject of specialization
- He/ She is then required to process the received samples
- A lab technician is also expected to analyze these papers
- These samples vary depending upon the area of specialization of the lab technician. For instance:
- If the lab technician is specialized in health care industry, he would receive samples that may consist of blood and tissue, which he/ she is expected to process and analyze.
- If the lab technician is specialized in environment and public heath, he/ she may receive samples related to water, air and soil which he needs to work upon.
- If the lab technician is specialized in chemical and pharmaceutical industry he/ she may receive samples related to chemical products which need to be processed and analyzed.
- A lab technician is also involved in conducting various tests and experiments on new products.
- He/ She must know how to make use of different equipments for carrying out these tests and experiments.
- He/ She must be efficient in cleaning and maintaining different lab equipments so that they can be re-used as and when required
- He/ She must also maintain various documents, notebooks and papers
- Also handle administrative tasks such as preparing orders and generating invoices.