ICU stands for critical care unit and this segment or unit forms an important part of almost all hospitals or superior medical facilities. An ICU nurse is a nurse who has specialized training to treat those patients who are admitted into ICUs. Special care has to be taken for ICU patients as they must not be exposed to any germs or foreign materials and infections. And thus an ICU nurse must ensure that ICU patients are given extra and critical care.
To know about the job duties of an ICU nurse, you can go through the following given part of the article:
Sample ICU Nurse Job Duties
- An ICU nurse must be aware of the medical history of the patient and the current condition and accordingly provide them with care or treatment.
- It is the duty of an ICU nurse to wear disinfected face masks, hand masks and leg covers when entering ICU so that germs do not reach the patient.
- An ICU nurse is responsible for regularly monitoring the condition of the patient to check for progress or any other symptoms of falling medical condition.
- An ICU nurse must inform the doctor if any unusual reading is noted or found.
- It is the duty of an ICU nurse to tend to the needs of the patient and perform various diagnostic tests of the patients.
- An ICU nurse should give medication to the patient on time and collect samples for tests etc.
- It is the duty of an ICU nurse to set up medical instruments, equipments such as ventilators, cardiac monitors and oxygen delivery devices etc, as per the requirement.
- An ICU nurse should also monitor the intake of fluids by the patient and detect fluid related issues, if any and inform them to the concerned doctor.