A health teacher specializes in teaching about health and wellness and also the process of maintaining healthy lifestyle. They educate students about the benefits of a good physical as well as mental health. The various health related topics taught by a health teacher include nutrition, sexual health, hygiene, ill effects of drug and alcohol abuse and physical exercise.
A health teacher may teach in a school, training institution or a health center. It is necessary for a health teacher to have a bachelor’s degree in health education as well as a teaching certificate. They should know procedures of lesson planning, conducting tests and grading students. Various health teacher job duties are given below:
Health Teacher Job Duties
- A health teacher is required to teach about healthy practices to students of the educational institute in which they are hired. They have to teach subjects like sexual health, nutrition, physical education and prevention of drug and alcohol abuse.
- A health teacher is required to plan lessons he is going to teach and sometimes assign homework.
- A health teacher is required to conduct test for the students and assign them grades in order to track their progress. Sometimes a health teacher is required to introduce new concepts and keep a track of the students’ understanding of the information presented.
- A health teacher is required to follow the curriculum set by the educational institution and ensure that it is completed within a certain academic year. Sometimes a health teacher is required to decide the curriculum themselves.
- A health teacher is required to determine the requirement of additional sources of educational materials.
- A health teacher is required to interpret health information.
- A health teacher is required to create as well as distribute information regarding various health education programs.
- A health teacher is required to understand the requirements of the state in which they teach.