Health Information Clerk is required to carry out a number of tasks such as maintaining the record of the patient’s health, updating these records from time to time, maintaining other important documents like the patient’s reports and performing a number of other administrative tasks.
One is required to have a good amount of knowledge about the healthcare processes and procedures in order to handle various assigned tasks. One needs to have an associate’s degree in order to get into the position of health information clerk. Candidates aspiring to become a health information clerk may even go for programs in medical record keeping or health information.
Health Information Clerk Job Duties
- Health information clerk is required to compile medical records of the patients. He needs to update these records at regular intervals.
- Health information clerk needs to ensure that these medical records are stored in a systematic manner so that these are readily available as and when required.
- Health information clerk is required to follow the legal as well as administrative requirements of the healthcare system.
- Health information clerk is required to ensure that all the paper work required for admitting the patients at the healthcare center and discharging them are complete. They need to maintain a record of these papers.
- Health information clerk may be required to assist the patient’s relative in filling the forms and giving them information about its submission procedure.
- Health information clerk is required to key in the details about the patient’s personal information as well as the clinical procedures he is going through at the healthcare center in the software program.
- Health information clerk is required to work in association with the other members at the healthcare center.
- Health information clerk is required to provide the medical records of the patients to the doctors whenever asked for.