A head chef also known as an executive chef is an individual who is in charge of the kitchen. They should have complete control of the kitchen and ensure that the staff follows his instructions. A head chef can found working in various kinds of work settings which include a restaurant, industrial kitchen or a hotel. They have to oversee the activities of the junior chefs, apprentices, culinary artists and other employees working in the kitchen.
A head chef needs to look after problems and resolve them. They have to ensure that the food is cooked accurately with right mixture of ingredients. It is necessary that a head chef has excellent managerial skills and vast culinary knowledge.
Head Chef Job Duties
- Head chef is required to develop the menu keeping in mind the demand of the customers.
- Head chef is required to decide the ingredients of the menu set by him. They have to ensure that the food is prepared with authentic taste.
- Head chef is required to manage the cost target of the food in accordance with the specified budget.
- Head chef is required to record as well as maintain pricing data accurately for all the commodities.
- Head chef is required to come up with new menu ideas and special food events and implement them.
- Head chef is required to ensure that hygiene is maintained in the kitchen.
- Head chef is required to ensure that the kitchen staff is wearing appropriate uniform.
- Head chef is required to ensure that safety measures are taken in the kitchen.
- Head chef is required to ensure that the staffs are following the policies and procedures of the restaurant or hotel.
- Head chef is required to place order for food materials required for cooking.
- Head chef is responsible to look after the overall management of the kitchen.