A general contractor is an individual who is responsible for overseeing the activities of a construction site on a daily basis. They also have to manage the vendors and communicate necessary information to parties that are involved in the construction process. They are usually employed by the client on the advice of the architect of the project.
The documents related to the project need to be specified by the general contractor. Sometimes a general contractor is required to have a license in order to work legally on a construction project. There are various job duties of the general contractor and the list of the major ones are given below:
General Contractor Job Duties
- General contractor is required to do the planning in all the phases of a construction project. They have to estimate the total cost required for materials and to employ labor, securing permit expenses and cost of equipments that needs to be leased or purchased.
- General contractor is required to prepare a timetable that would establish a deadline for each phase of the project and ensure that a particular phase is completed within a deadline.
- General contractor is required to coordinate with the architect or engineer of the project in order to develop mechanical aspects. They may also have to interact with the master electricians and demolition engineers.
- General contractor is required to ensure that all the work is done as per the set laws and regulations. They also have to follow labor laws and union contracts.
- General contractor is required to follow safety regulations during the construction process.
- General contractor is required to responds to emergencies whenever necessary. They also have to ensure that the staff is adhering to safety regulations.
- General contractor is required to ensure project is completed within specified budget.