Food service worker job duties include taking orders from the guests, serving food to them, providing assistance to the cooking staff in preparing food in the kitchen, setting the dining table, clearing the table after the meals, provide information about the menu and rates to the customers over the phone and handling a number of other tasks.
Candidates aspiring to become food service worker should have at least a high school diploma. One must also go for a training course in commercial food service and preparation or a similar course/ training. Most employers seek employees having some work experience.
Food Service Worker Job Duties
- Food Service Worker needs to greet the guests as they arrive in the restaurants/ food joints and give them a warm welcome.
- Food Service Worker is required to take orders from the guests who arrive at the restaurants.
- Food Service Worker needs to share the food menu with the guests and also give them information about the rates of different food items.
- Food Service Worker is required to maintain the cash register.
- Food Service Worker needs to serve the food to the guests in a courteous manner.
- Food Service Worker is required to ensure that the food orders taken over the phone are delivered on time.
- Food Service Worker may assist the cooks in preparing food.
- Food Service Worker may assist in cutting the vegetables, making sodas and doing other small kitchen tasks.
- Food Service Worker is required to clear the table after the food has been consumed by the guests.
- Food Service Worker needs to work in association with the kitchen and housekeeping staff.
- Food Service Worker may be required to clean the table or get it cleaned by the housekeeping staff.
- Food Service Worker needs to make sure that the customers are given good service.