A flight nurse is a nurse who is required to take care of those patients who are being transported from one place to another by the means of a flight. A flight nurse has to travel with the patient and the family members on an airplane or a helicopter and has to be responsible for monitoring the medical condition of the patient on the flight. A flight nurse works as a regular nurse but must also be comfortable with being on a flight on a regular basis because that is what their job demands of them.
The following are some of the major job duties of a flight nurse.
Sample Flight Nurse Job Duties
- One of the main job duties of a flight nurse is to provide utmost care to the patients who are travelling onboard a flight.
- It is the duty of a flight nurse to administer the health of the patient who is being transported from one place to another by an air flight. He/she must provide for cardiac monitoring, administration of body fluids, give medicines and advanced life support to the patients.
- Another job duty of a flight nurse is to take the patient on a stretcher onboard a flight and also help him to get off the flight.
- The duties of a flight nurse also includes recording the progress made by the patient on the flight and inform the doctor about the medical condition of the patient at regular intervals.
- A flight nurse must also try to contact the receiving medical authorities about the patient who is being transferred so that proper preparations can be made.
- Another job duty of a flight nurse is to make sure that the patient’s family is informed about the health of the patient and must also impart knowledge about care taking ways.