Engineers resort to mathematics and physics to develop economic solutions for technical problems. A field service engineer will analyse, review and inspect the information to determine the source of the problem and recommend repair or replacement. Along with it, a field service engineer will also coordinate problem resolving with other engineers, customer service and other associated personnel. A field service engineer can work for a variety of industries such as electronics, manufacturing, information and technology, construction etc. Various field service engineer job duties are mentioned below:
Field Service Engineer Job Duties:
- A field service engineer is responsible for the installation and repairing of electronic devices like computer, radar, avionics, communication systems etc.
- He is liable for consulting with customers or supervisors to plan the layout of the equipment.
- A field service engineer studies designs, blueprints, schematic manuals and other specifications for determining installation procedures.
- Installation or overseeing installation of equipment as per manufacturer’s specifications.
- Operating systems to demonstrate equipments and understanding malfunctions if any.
- Interpreting maintenance manuals, wiring diagrams, schematics and utilizing knowledge of electronics and also using standard instruments.
- Consulting with engineer personnel for resolving unusual problems in maintenance and operations.
- Instructing and giving directions to workers for servicing and repairing equipments.
- Supervising workers in testing, tuning, and adjustment of equipment for obtaining optimal performance in operation.
- Suggesting management about customer satisfaction, product performance and generating ideas for product improvements.
- Maintaining records and performance reports and analysing reports on technical problems to determine trends that will affect future designs, production and service.
- Recommending solutions to eliminate future problems.
- Preparing hand books, bulletins based on field investigation, changes in engineering and overall knowledge of the product.
- Strong and effective communication skills like fluency in English and also the local language of the area where he is stationed.
- Having a strong level of physical health to endure frequent and long trips.