Family Law Paralegals are mainly responsible for handling cases like divorce, marriage contracts, adoption, child custody, dowry, domestic violence etc. Family law paralegals are responsible for assisting attorneys in investigating the case and conducting research related to the case.
They are required to interview parties involved in case. They need to collect necessary information and prepare reports and evidences. They are also responsible for preparing legal documents related to the case. Family law paralegals should have sound knowledge in legal codes and court proceedings. Family law paralegals need to have good written and oral communication skills along with good organizational skills. There are various duties to be performed by these people and some of them are given below.
Family Law Paralegal Job Duties
- Family law paralegals are responsible for assisting people in matters involving divorce, domestic violence, marriage contracts, child support, adoption, property, child abuse and other family law matters.
- Family law paralegals need to regularly arrange meetings with their clients.
- Family law paralegals need to perform extensive research works.
- Family law paralegals are required to draft legal documents, prepare written reports and case studies.
- Family law paralegals are required to perform clerical duties like filing documents, answering phones, drafting letters and other paper work.
- Family law paralegals are responsible for locating and interviewing witnesses and obtaining accurate information from them.
- Family law paralegals require to cross-check and validate the information obtained from various resources.
- Family law paralegals are required to assist the lawyers in the courtroom.
- Family law paralegals require traveling from time to time.
- Family law paralegals are responsible for maintaining confidentiality.
- Family law paralegals are responsible for checking and editing legal forms.
- They need to prepare contracts, agreements, legal memoranda, pleadings , appeals etc
- Family law paralegals need to build and maintain databases and file.