An emergency room nurse is a specially trained nurse who is an expert at handling emergency situations which require presence of mind, swift decision making and specific knowledge and training. An emergency room nurse must be able to provide assessment and care which is rapid in nature and works well in life threatening situations. Knowing how to stabilize the condition of the patient is one of the qualities that must be possessed by an emergency room nurse.
The following given points will throw more light on the various job duties of an emergency room nurse:
Sample Emergency Room Nurse Job Duties
- The first and most important duty of an emergency room nurse is to do quick evaluation and assessment of the patient who has been brought in for an emergency treatment.
- Another job duty of an emergency room nurse is to stabilize the patient by using expert knowledge and training. The nurse must record readings and prepare reports quickly so that the doctor can quickly decide the treatment to be given to the patient.
- It is the job duty of an emergency room nurse to document the medical history of the patient and accordingly provide care or medications to the patient.
- Another major job duty of an emergency room nurse is to check for any allergies that the patient might be having so that medications can be altered and given accordingly.
- An emergency room nurse is also required to have patience and maintain his/her cool and temperament in emergency situations.
- It is the duty of an emergency room nurse to take directions from the doctor and implement them as swiftly and calmly as possible.
- Another duty of a person working as an emergency room nurse is to calm down the family members of the patient.