A computer technician is expected to install and troubleshoot PC applications like database management systems, word processors, spreadsheets and various other applications. He also installs and supports other hardware items connected to the PC such as the printers, scanners, speakers, etc. In order to become a computer technician one needs to have a relevant educational qualification.
Computer Technician Job Duties
- Solve the computer related problems of his clients by going to their workstations
- Hardware installation is one of the major tasks that computer technician is expected to carry out
- A computer technician must also know the process of software installation
- Maintain and repair the hardware equipments
- Maintain and repair the software applications
- Work on the server as and when needed
- Examine the hardware problem and troubleshoot it. And if need arises even replacing the hardware parts. Choose and install fresh parts for proper functioning of the system
- Test various software applications
- Install and troubleshoot the software applications
- Update the systems with anti-virus software so that they do not get corrupted often
- Design, Upgrade and troubleshoot the internal computer networking system.
- Connect different computers to a network
- Respond to the various computer related issues quickly
- Stay updated with the latest technological advancements in order to survive the competition.
- Have an in-depth knowledge about the various operating systems including Windows, Mac, Linux, UNIX, etc. Also read about them from time to time as their newer versions hit the market.
- Work in hectic schedules
- Immediately rush to the workstation where any computer related problem arises and solve it as soon as possible