Anaesthesia technician is one who provides assistance to the anaesthesiologist in all the procedures that involves anaesthesia administration to the patients. This is a technical job that requires lot of skills and knowledge about the anaesthesia and its applications. They are the health workers who have extensive knowledge about all the instruments, techniques and technologies used in anaesthesia.
Anaesthesia technician works mainly in operation theatres but they are also employed in surgical wards, intensive care units and clinics which perform day surgeries. Anaesthesia technician are involved in providing the detail pre and post operative patients care to the patients who are undergoing a treatment that involves administration of anaesthesia. Various Anaesthesia technician job duties are mentioned below:
Anaesthesia Technician Job Duties
- They work in association with anaesthesiologist and assist them during the entire surgical procedures.
- Their major role is to explain the patients the details about the procedures along with checking the patient’s history to avoid any kind of risk in the procedures.
- Anaesthesia technician play a key role in providing emergency resuscitation to the patients.
- They ensure that all the machines used in anaesthesia procedures are working properly and they also prepare all the intravenous drugs.
- They communicate with the patients explaining them all the facts associated with the procedures.
- They prepare all the devices that are required for maintaining the airway of the patient along with keeping all the intravenous therapy administration equipments ready.
- They also monitor the patient’s health conditions when he is under the anaesthesia by monitoring the blood pressure of the patient, electrocardiogram, oxygen supply and EEG etc.
- They ensure the overall safety of the patients during the procedure since incorrect anaesthesia administration may lead to severe consequences.
- They also keep an eye on anaesthesia depth and the vital signs of the patients.
- They collect blood samples along with monitoring the temperature of the patient.