An Air Traffic Controller oversees the aircrafts and other air traffic. He is involved in managing various activities in order to ensure that the air traffic moves safely and smoothly. After a candidate is hired, he is given formal training on handling all the job responsibilities.
Air Traffic Controller Job Duties
- An Air Traffic Controller is expected to ensure that the air traffic moves smoothly and safely.
- He needs to conduct searches for the aircrafts that have gone missing.
- An Air Traffic Controller is required to monitor the radio equipments and ensure that they are adjusted well at all times.
- He needs to check that the airport lights are working fine. An Air Traffic Controller is responsible for maintaining and controlling these lights.
- An Air Traffic Controller needs to send an alert to the airport emergency staff in case there is any emergency situation.
- He must stay alert at all times and report immediately in case an aircraft is experiencing any problem.
- An Air Traffic Controller must work in accordance with the policies and procedures set by the authorities.
- He must stay updated with the information related to weather conditions, fuel requirement, air routes, etc at all times.
- An Air Traffic Controller contacts the pilots in order to provide them information related to meteorology, navigation, etc.
- He carries out pre-flight briefings that include information about the weather conditions, route to be followed, safety measure, etc.
- An Air Traffic Controller keeps a track of the messages received from the aircraft.